Friday, June 12, 2009

Just one more hour...





6 years ago today my Dad passed away. A couple of weeks from now it will be father's day. I have written about him before because I miss him dearly. I think about him almost every day. I wonder what he would have thought about my battle with cancer, my job as an on air personality on the radio. I wish he got to see me play hockey, I think he would have liked that most of all. To see Majoros on the back of a jersey skating around kicking butt. I think I would have enjoyed teaching him the rules of hockey, he was more of a football fan, but since I play I think he would have had fun watching his little girl get a Gordie Howe hat trick (a goal, an assist and a fight, although I have never gotten into a fight on the ice, he would have gotten a kick out of it I am sure)

One of my favorite songs is "Me and Bobby McGee" written by Kris Kristofferson and sung by Janis Joplin, one of the best blues singers of all time. There is a line in that song "I'd give up my tomorrows for one single yesterday.." Now I wouldn't give up my tomorrows, I love life and I am always amazed and excited for new things, and even every day things, but I would have liked to spend just one more hour with my Dad. Tell him about all the things that have happened to me since 2003. I am lucky that he met my fiance Doug and liked him. Doug and I haven't set a date for our wedding just yet, but it is one event that I would love to have my Dad at, to walk me down the aisle.

My Dad was a great man, was the best father a girl could ever ask for. If I was to have that hour I would tell him that as much as I love him I am a little upset at him for robbing me of our time together. As I blogged before he had diabetes, and I am pretty sure he never checked his blood sugar like he did. Wanted to live life on his own terms. I think about that often because I read more and more things about people not going to the doctor because they don't have insurance or they hate doctors or some other excuse. Yes my Dad lived the way he wanted to, but if he could have seen what it did to him at the end and the precious time it robbed from being with his family I think he would have changed his mind.

A few good lyrics to leave you with from Nickleback
"so do whatever it takes
'cause you can't rewind
a moment in this life
let nothing stand in your way
cause the hands of time are never on your side"

I have great memories of my Dad and I and am grateful for that.

Happy Fathers Day Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment