Saturday, June 6, 2009

Whatever gets you through the day part two



I was on one of the social networking sites tonight instant messaging a friend of mine and we were talking about using anti depression medication. I recently tried to get off of mine, but a week of trying to get off of it and nasty side effects from it made me decide to stay on them. Unless I was going to be away from people or not on the radio I would have been able to get off of them, but the side effects of getting off of effexor, the brand of anti depressant I take was I was extremely jumpy and I felt like I was going to burst into tears at the drop of a hat. I don't think that would make for good radio, although some may disagree.

There is less of a stigma now days with people taking anti depressants or anti anxiety pills as there used to be. I was even nervous about asking my doctor about getting on some form of anti depressants, but I felt like I wasn't me, I am usually in a good mood most of the time and survivorship, cancer, side effects, well I guess the whole snowball of everything got to me. I remember sitting in the room talking to the doctor, not even being able to look at her, kind of embarassed about asking. She told me not to worry, that it wouldn't be forever. But you know what? I am ok with the fact that it might be. I have been through a lot in the last two years, and if I have to take a little pill to keep me from feeling lost or sad or out of sorts then so be it. I would not be where I am with out it, and of course this is only my opinion, if you think you need something like this to help you always consult with your doctor, that is what I do, sometimes, I think to a ridiculous degree, but hey, I am was definitely not used to going from being in great health and getting ready to play hockey to having cancer, going through chemo, losing my hair, feeling like shit, feeling tired, having insomnia, being hungry and not being able to eat, having radiation, having people treat me different, having people give me that poor you look, (which I hate by the way, if you ever give me that look I will call you on it, I have to my friends and to my health care professionals) not being able to work, not being able to do the things I want to do and changing my whole life because my body basically wanted to kill me.

So yeah I am a proponent of Anti depressant and anti anxiety meds.

I know with this blog it seems like the meds aren't working, but trust me they are, it has been a long day,a good day, but a long one none the less and along with humor I use an ample supply of sarcasm to help me cope.


Mel is the producer of The Vic McCarty Show. Listen live weekdays 10am-noon eastern on wmktthetalkstation.com

1 comment:

  1. Dennis I am a part of your blogging network. I am proud to be a part of it in fact.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete